Wednesday, December 15, 2010

discipleship

Amos 1-3, 2 Peter 1-3

Over the last couple of weeks I have been more and more impressed that I need to be more integrated in discipleship - both mentoring and being mentored.  On Sunday, I spoke with our lead pastor about getting more involved, and I asked him to give me some direction on how I can do that.  We plan to have lunch tomorrow to discuss in more detail.

Yesterday I got to talk to one of my collegiate disciplers.  I was reminded how much I learned with him and how I need to be meeting with some older Brothers here locally.  I also need to stay caught up with the Brothers who have facilitated my growth over the years.

2 Pet. 1:3 By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. 4 And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world's corruption caused by human desires.

 5 In view of all this, make every effort to respond to God's promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge, 6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness, 7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone.

 8 The more you grow like this, the more productive and useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But those who fail to develop in this way are shortsighted or blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their old sins.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your Church, the Body of Christ.  Thank you for the Brothers and Sisters who invest themselves in taking care of the other members of the Body.  Lord, I want to be one of those Brothers.  Please pour your love through me into the lives of others, and show me how to do that practically.  Lord, please lead me to the specific relationships that you want me to have so that I can mentor and be mentored in sharing your divine nature.  I love you, Lord.  Please do this for Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment