Monday, December 6, 2010

a little rusty

Daniel 3-4, James 1

Confessions:  It's been too long since I blogged, and I fell behind in my NT reading over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Resolve:  I want to be more self-controlled and a better spiritual leader of my family.  It's a tough balance, because I want to be consistent and disciplined, but I don't want it to be "religious".

Thanksgiving was a great time with my family and Brandi's family.  I went into the holiday with the intent of not being overly theological or argumentative, and the Lord blessed me with some great conversations.  I need to be that way all of the time.  I am thankful for:
- faith and salvation in Christ Jesus
- a family heritage of loving and serving the Lord
- a wife who loves the Lord, me, and our son
- a son who, on the whole, is healthy and growing
- a job where I can help people and use the gifts that God has given me
- a church where the leaders and most of the congregation are genuinely trying to figure out how to follow Christ
- a house that is warm during the winter and cool during the summer
- food to eat and clean water to drink.

In my reading this morning, I read the story of the Fiery Furnace and the boldness of three young men who feared the fire of God more than the fire of men:

 Daniel 3:16 Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego replied, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you. 17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power, Your Majesty. 18 But even if he doesn't, we want to make it clear to you, Your Majesty, that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up."

I was reminded of a Shane & Shane song about Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah: "O King, won't you burn us up in the furnace of your desire."  I think this couples well with another great verse that I read this morning:

James 1:2 Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. 3 For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. 4 So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.

Heavenly Father, please burn up the chaff of my selfish flesh and self-righteousness.  Lord, please give me grace to fear you and look to you for rescue from my flesh, this world, and the devil.  As much as it scares me to ask this, I want to be pure so that my life will honor you.  Lord, please be gentle with me, but I know that you want me to be holy like you.  Thank you, Lord Jesus, for being my holiness.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment