Sunday, December 19, 2010

gold, garments, and ointment

Jonah 1-4, Revelation 1-3
Rev 3:15 "I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! 16 But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth! 17 You say, 'I am rich. I have everything I want. I don't need a thing!' And you don't realize that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked. 18 So I advise you to buy gold from me—gold that has been purified by fire. Then you will be rich. Also buy white garments from me so you will not be shamed by your nakedness, and ointment for your eyes so you will be able to see.
A few questions:
  • How do you "buy" anything from Jesus?
  • What does "gold" represent?
  • What do "white garments" represent?
  • What does "eye ointment" represent?
Reading some commentaries, it seems like "purchasing" something from Jesus means that we pay the price by sacrificing our selfish desires and obeying through faith the Lord's will for our lives.  I think the gold represents our faith and His divinity.  By faith, we experience Him, and He molds us more into His image.  He purifies our faith and our sonship through fiery testing.  The white garments represent good works, done in faith, which He prepared in advance for us to do.  The anointing of ointment represents the anointing of the Holy Spirit, through Whom we experience Christ and testify to His resurrection and our rebirth.  To overcome in this phase of the Church, we must overcome our indifference and pride and pay the price to know Him and gain Him.

Heavenly Father, please show me how to buy gold, garments, and ointment.  Lord, I want to know you and break free from this selfish and apathetic soul-life.  Lord, I want to experience and share the ZOE life with others.  Lord, please sharpen my hearing to listen to you, and quicken my heart to obey.  Please use my life for your honor.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ, the Alpha and the Omega.

No comments:

Post a Comment