Sunday, October 30, 2011

a lifestyle of relational discipleship

2 Timothy 2

As the years go by, and I think about the commission of our Lord (Matt. 28:28-20), chapter 2 of 2 Timothy means more and more to me.

2 Timothy, my dear son, be strong through the grace that God gives you in Christ Jesus. 2 You have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others. 3 Endure suffering along with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus. ... 8 Always remember that Jesus Christ, a descendant of King David, was raised from the dead. This is the Good News I preach. ... 10 So I am willing to endure anything if it will bring salvation and eternal glory in Christ Jesus to those God has chosen. ... 15 Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive his approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth. ... 21 If you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work.  22 Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts. Instead, pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace. Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts.

I am thankful for Brothers (like Jon Houser and RF Pennington) who have shown me examples of what it looks like to live out these verses.

Heavenly Father, I want to be obedient to Christ, and I want to be used by you to make disciples.  Please help me focus on the important things and not get distracted by theological/spiritual knowledge, which can turn people into Pharisees.  I want to live a life of relational discipleship, being used by you in a cascade of disciples.  I love you, Lord.  Please help me focus my attention and heart on you only.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment