Thursday, November 10, 2011

learning obedience from suffering

Hebrews 5

These are some of the most profound verses to me, especially when I think about Jesus as the prototype for all of God's children:

7 While Jesus was here on earth, he offered prayers and pleadings, with a loud cry and tears, to the one who could rescue him from death. And God heard his prayers because of his deep reverence for God. 8 Even though Jesus was God's Son, he learned obedience from the things he suffered. 9 In this way, God qualified him as a perfect High Priest, and he became the source of eternal salvation for all those who obey him.

Man, I wish there was an easier way.  Deep reverence - that's not bad; I can handle deep reverence.  Learning obedience through suffering?  How about learning obedience through jigsaw puzzles or arithmetic.  Even algebra or calculus.  But suffering?

I suppose that is REAL obedience.  No fooling anybody when obedience hurts.

Heavenly Father, I know that you are good and kind and just.  You are loving and merciful.  Thank you for your patience with me.  Thank you for the example of Christ for me to follow.  Lord Jesus, you are my example; please give me your mind - humble and not proud.  Lord, please help me be faithful to you, even through suffering.  I love you, Lord, and I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment