Monday, November 7, 2011

Merciful and Faithful High Priest

Hebrews 2

I pray with a Brother over the phone on Monday mornings, and this morning, we both shared how we don't really know what to do in situations with our children.  His daughter is having a difficult time with school and family, and my oldest son is going through the "terrible twos".  We concluded that perhaps God is more concerned with how we go through these challenging situations than us figuring out exactly what we are supposed to do.  That is, He wants us to have the character of Christ.

 16 We also know that the Son did not come to help angels; he came to help the descendants of Abraham. 17 Therefore, it was necessary for him to be made in every respect like us, his brothers and sisters, so that he could be our merciful and faithful High Priest before God. Then he could offer a sacrifice that would take away the sins of the people. 18 Since he himself has gone through suffering and testing, he is able to help us when we are being tested.

Well, Jesus wasn't an earthly father, but He is called the Everlasting Father (http://bible.cc/isaiah/9-6.htm), so I am sure that He understands parenting principles.  And the verse 18 quoted above indicates that he is familiar with our experience of suffering, so he can help us.

Heavenly Father, I know that you love us, and you care about the details of our lives.  Thank you for pouring out your love for us with Christ on the cross.  Thank you for restoring my relationship with you.  Lord, thank you for the opportunities to grow in the character of Christ.  Lord, please help me focus my mind on the spirit and not the flesh.  Lord, please give me peace and rest knowing that you are in control and taking care of me.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment