Wednesday, November 23, 2011

wandering or focused?

James 5

I was sad when I read Hebrews 6:4-6:

 4 For it is impossible to bring back to repentance those who were once enlightened—those who have experienced the good things of heaven and shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the power of the age to come—6 and who then turn away from God. It is impossible to bring such people back to repentance; by rejecting the Son of God, they themselves are nailing him to the cross once again and holding him up to public shame.

But I am glad that James 5:19-20 follows:

 19 My dear brothers and sisters, if someone among you wanders away from the truth and is brought back, 20 you can be sure that whoever brings the sinner back will save that person from death and bring about the forgiveness of many sins.

So, how do we interpret Heb. 6:4-6 in light of James 5:19-20?  Well, my Brother RF says that the Hebrew culture back in Jesus's day regularly used hyperboles (an extremely exaggerated statement) to illustrate points (e.g., It is impossible for a rich man to enter heaven; it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich guy to go to Heaven). 

These two verses also stood out to me this morning:

 7 Dear brothers and sisters, be patient as you wait for the Lord's return. Consider the farmers who patiently wait for the rains in the fall and in the spring. They eagerly look for the valuable harvest to ripen. 8 You, too, must be patient. Take courage, for the coming of the Lord is near.

I want to be consciously aware that Jesus could return at any moment.  And if His return was near two thousand years ago, then I can imagine that we are right on the cusp of His return.

Heavenly Father, I love you.  Thank you for your Word and your Truth.  Lord Jesus, I love you.  Thank you for your sacrifice and love.  I want to be ready for you to return at any moment; I want to be expecting your arrival.  Holy Spirit, I love you.  Please help me keep in step with you.  I want to honor you and obey you.  Please help me be humble and submissive to your will.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment