Tuesday, May 29, 2012

living water

John 7:37-53

As a teacher and researcher in drinking water treatment, this is one of my favorite passages: 

37 On the last day, the climax of the festival, Jesus stood and shouted to the crowds, "Anyone who is thirsty may come to me! 38 Anyone who believes in me may come and drink! For the Scriptures declare, 'Rivers of living water will flow from his heart.'" 39 (When he said "living water," he was speaking of the Spirit, who would be given to everyone believing in him. But the Spirit had not yet been given, because Jesus had not yet entered into his glory.)

Believe, drink, flow.  It sounds pretty simple.  Why is it so difficult? 

Contrast the promises of grace and blessings from Jesus with the hard religion and curses of the Pharisees:

47 "Have you been led astray, too?" the Pharisees mocked. 48 "Is there a single one of us rulers or Pharisees who believes in him? 49 This foolish crowd follows him, but they are ignorant of the law. God's curse is on them!"

I think, in the short term, it is less difficult to be a follower of religion than a follower of Christ because you don't have to think or act; you simply show up and mindlessly fall in line.  But religion is a destructive machine of evil. 

Being a follower of Christ takes work, but the essence is enjoying the movement of the Spirit in our lives.  I think we should be enjoying drinking Christ.  So, the practical question is, how do I enjoy Christ on a daily basis?

Heavenly Father, thank you for your promises of grace and blessings in Christ.  Thank you for the Holy Spirit.  Thank you for the opportunity to drink.  Lord, I am thirsty, and I need you to refresh my soul.  Lord, please fill me and flow through me with your Spirit.  I love you, Lord.  Thank you for your kindness to me and my family.  Please help me lead my family to enjoy you.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment