Thursday, May 24, 2012

listen and believe

John 5:1-30

24 "I tell you the truth, those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life. They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have already passed from death into life.

25 "And I assure you that the time is coming, indeed it's here now, when the dead will hear my voice—the voice of the Son of God. And those who listen will live. 26 The Father has life in himself, and he has granted that same life-giving power to his Son.

I used to see "eternal life" as something that happens after your body dies.  But I think eternal life begins and continues as we listen and obey to the leading of Christ.  It seems like there is an objective aspect of hearing the Gospel and believing, and there is also a subjective/experiential aspect that involves daily listening and obedience.

Heavenly Father, please help me focus on Christ.  Lord Jesus, please speak to me, and please turn my heart to obey you.  Lord, what have you been speaking to me that I have not been hearing?  Lord, please be patient with me and help me listen and obey.  I love you, and I want to follow you.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment