Tuesday, July 10, 2012

church planting movements

Acts 14

21 After preaching the Good News in Derbe and making many disciples, Paul and Barnabas returned to Lystra, Iconium, and Antioch of Pisidia, 22 where they strengthened the believers. They encouraged them to continue in the faith, reminding them that we must suffer many hardships to enter the Kingdom of God. 23 Paul and Barnabas also appointed elders in every church. With prayer and fasting, they turned the elders over to the care of the Lord, in whom they had put their trust.

Brother David in Austin has been telling me to read David Garrison's book, Church Planting Movements (2004), for several years.  I started reading it on our cruise this past week because I was inspired after my cousin Neil and his wife visited us last weekend.  Neil attended a conference where David Watson (cited many times in Garrison's book) described his observation of church planting movements in India.

Basically, church planting movements are the exponential growth of disciples through house churches.  It seems logical to me that house churches more effectively facilitate the rapid expansion of churches/discipleship for mainly two reasons: (1) no "church" building to tie people down or limit attendance, and (2) typically no paid "clergy" or paid pastors.  These are two of the practical/logistical limitations to rapid church growth in the U.S.

Brandi and I are part of a church that emphasizes the importance of our home groups.  But, I am wondering if we need to be even more intentional/explicit in recognizing each home group as an independent house church.  I am beginning to pray that God will use us in a church planting movement in El Paso that will cascade into South America and around the world.

Heavenly Father, please help us see your Kingdom here on earth.  Please help us see your vision for the Church.  Lord, please use us to expand your Kingdom, and please let us participate in exponential growth in discipleship.  Please show me what my role is here.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment