Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Prophets and teachers

Acts 15

13:1 Among the prophets and teachers of the church at Antioch of Syria were Barnabas, Simeon (called "the black man"), Lucius (from Cyrene), Manaen (the childhood companion of King Herod Antipas), and Saul.

15:32 Then Judas and Silas, both being prophets, spoke at length to the believers, encouraging and strengthening their faith. 33 They stayed for a while, and then the believers sent them back to the church in Jerusalem with a blessing of peace. 35 Paul and Barnabas stayed in Antioch. They and many others taught and preached the word of the Lord there.

It seems to me that the concept of an individual preacher in a local church is different from what Paul and Barnabas experienced.  I'm not saying that it's wrong to only have one preacher, it just seems insufficient.  It seems to me that we should always be training up new preachers and teachers.

I am glad that the leadership in Paseo sees the value of multiple preachers/teachers.

Heavenly Father, please use me as you desire.  I would like to have more opportunities to teach, if that is your will.  I want to be useful to you.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment