Sunday, May 5, 2013

Precedent for praying for the Lord to lead another's heart

1 Chron 29

I have been praying for the Lord to change the hearts of some people to seek Him and obey Him, but I have recently questioned whether this is a legitimate prayer.  I am encouraged by King David's prayer in verses 17-19:

"I know, my God, that you test the heart and have pleasure in uprightness. ... O Lord, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, our fathers, keep forever such purposes and thoughts in the hearts of your people, and direct their hearts toward you.  Grant to Solomon my son a whole heart that he may keep your commandments, your testimonies, and your statutes, performing all, ..."

And even though the people did turn away, David was "a man after God's own heart", so I am inclined to think that David's prayer was appropriate.  I know that it is God's desire for us to seek Him, and I know that it is impossible for us to seek Him apart from the work of the Holy Spirit in our hearts, so it seems to me that it is appropriate to pray that the Lord moves in the hearts of people.

Heavenly Father, I love you, and I want to want what you want.  I want to pray for what you want - for your will to be done.  Lord, give me faith to pray to see you work in the lives of those who I care about.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment