Thursday, March 13, 2014

dust and mist

I have been frustrated at work with some recent hiring decisions.  It is tempting for me to slip into a cynical, fatalistic perspective.  Simultaneously, I have received positive reviews of three journal papers submitted in January, which is encouraging.  It is tempting for me to slip into a self-focused agenda and disengage as a team player.  But I realize that these are not God-honoring perspectives.

At the same time, I am realizing that I am so blessed with a wonderful wife and three healthy boys.  I have invested so much time in work these past several years, and I am realizing that this is an unsustainable investment.  I need to trust that the Lord will lead and provide in my work, and I must not neglect my family.  

As I was recently driving home from the office, I felt in my spirit that I needed to feed my soul with some Christian music, so I just turned on the radio instead of calling someone.  I was really encouraged by these words from the recent Gungor song, "I am mountain.":

"I am mountain, I am dust
Constellations made of us
There's glory in the dirt
A universe within the sand
Eternity within a man"
 
"We are ocean we are mist
Brilliant fools who wound and kiss
There's beauty in the dirt
Wandering in skin and soul
Searching, longing for a home"

Man is but a breath, and then he is gone.  The grass withers, and the flowers fade, but the Word of the Lord stands forever.  We are temporary; but we are sojourners toward eternity, and this is not our home.

Heavenly Father, may I keep my eyes on you.  Lord, may my heart be set on the Kingdom and eternity with you.  Lord Jesus, thank you for enduring the cross and leading the way.  You are the Way.  Please forgive me for allowing my heart to focus on things of this world.  I love you, and I want to pursue you each day.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment