Tuesday, March 4, 2014

unity in the Body

Mark 9:30-50

Sons of Thunder (James and John) probably started arguing about who is the greatest.  Jesus explained that "greatness" in the kingdom is correlated with servanthood.  

John reprimanded someone for casting out demons in the name of Jesus, but Jesus explained that we are all united in Christ.

Then Jesus generalized the conversation to unity, sin, life, and punishment.  It seems that there are two fires: (1) Gehenna ("hell") for those who are not disciples of Christ, and (2) a purifying/refining fire for those who are disciples of Christ ("everyone will be salted (purified/preserved) with fire").  And then he tied it all back to Body Life and unity.  Don't let your self get in the way of unity in the body.

Heavenly Father, please help me see my selfishness and sinfulness, and please help me submit to your purifying fire.  Lord, please guard me against being divisive, and please help me work toward unity in the body.  I love you, and I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment