Monday, March 10, 2014

Greatest commandment(s)

Mark 12:29 Jesus answered, "The most important is, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' 31 The second is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."

Previously, I saw these as two separate statements, but now I think the "second" is really a corollary of the first.  If you love God with all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength, then you will learn to love what He loves.  And God loves people.  He loves us so much that He sacrificed his own Son for us.  And as we love Him and grow in Him, then His love for people will flow through us, and we will love our neighbors (everyone) as ourselves.

Heavenly Father, please help me grow in my love and devotion to you.  And please pour your love through me so that I will supernaturally love others as myself.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment