Thursday, April 3, 2014

Weathering the storms of life

Yesterday afternoon, I was driving back to campus to teach my evening course, and I was reminded of a friend from college with whom I haven't spoken in quite some time.  So, I dialed the number that I had for him.  Come to find out, he was downsized on Monday.  I shared with him how the Lord sometimes uses difficult circumstances to get our attention.  He confessed that he fell off the wagon some time ago, but then earlier this week, he felt himself wanting to ask God for help. But he felt shame for being fickle, so he didn't feel right about asking God for help.  I told him that God is like the father of the prodigal son; God is always ready to take us back.  And because of Jesus, we don't have to feel any shame in returning to Him. 

I read this passage this morning, and the Lord brought my friend to mind:

Luke 8:22-25 NIV
One day Jesus said to his disciples, "Let us go over to the other side of the lake." So they got into a boat and set out. As they sailed, Jesus fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger.   The disciples went and woke Jesus, saying, "Master, Master, we're going to drown!" He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. "Where is your faith?" he asked his disciples. In fear and amazement they asked one another, "Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him."

Jesus knows the storm of your life, and He will calm the storm in due time.  He uses the storm to get our attention and help us realize that we need Him to save us.  He is the Son of God, so He is able to save us.

Heavenly Father, I pray that my friend will seek you with a fresh desire, and that he will ask you for your plan to be accomplished in his life.  Lord, thank you for your mercy and grace.  Thank you for taking away our guilt and shame.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment