Friday, June 6, 2014

Learning and growing

John 15

I was in Boston this week for the Olin Collaboratory Summer Institute, and it was, once again, a wonderful experience.  Learning Olin's theory and philosophy of education is really empowering to me as a professor, and more generally, as a person.

One of the impressive points to me was on the subject of intrinsic motivation.  First, the intrinsic motivation of a person is situationally dependent. Second, as a professor, I have agency in creating a situation that fosters intrinsic motivation in my students toward deep learning.  Third, there are three important factors for fostering intrinsic motivation: autonomy, relatedness, and competency.  This is incredibly powerful with respect to the vocation of education, which assumes, at its core, that education empowers people to greater (self)actualization.

Another impressive topic was that of self-discovery.  I think it is very important for me to more thoughtfully consider who it is that God has made me and what He has made me to do, as well as how I can facilitate that discovery in other people. Coupled with this discovery process is the goal to continue growing into the character of Christ, as well as into His work.

This week, I have been convicted of the urgent reality for me to facilitate self-discovery and intrinsically motivated learning for my wife and sons.  I want to encourage and help them to grow and mature into the people who God has made them, and I want them to enjoy being who they are in Him.  Similarly, as a leader in our church, I think it is important for me to serve as a catalyst for other Christ-followers to grow and mature in who they are in Christ.

On the T from dinner back to the hotel last night, I was taking in the beautiful green foliage and landscape, and I thanked the Lord for the opportunities that He has given me to learn and grow.  I felt like in that moment, I realized that it doesn't really matter so much where I am as long as I am with Him and investing in the Kingdom.  I want to be focused on His will and His work.  I want to be a harvester in His fields.

On the return flight this afternoon, several children chirped excitedly as the plane took off, which reminded me of the marvel of air travel. I prefer an aisle seat, but I was sitting in a window, so I took the opportunity to survey the Boston harbor and downtown skyline as we took off. (I have flown out of Boston several times, but I dont recall viewing Boston from a plane.) Coincidentally, our flight path was southwest toward West Roxbury where we lived in the fall.  As I was looking for the street and house where we lived, we climbed into the clouds and I lost sight of the town.  It felt symbolic of how we feel sometimes in life when the Lord gives us a glimpse of where we have been or where we are going, but He typically doesn't let us gaze, because He wants us to maintain our focus and attention on Him.  And then, just like that, the clouds were open, and I realized almost immediately that I was looking right at the Olin College campus.  I'm not sure how to interpret this experience (or even if I should), but I felt like it wasn't coincidental, because only moments later, we were in the clouds again and then soon above them with no view of the ground. 

The reality is that we dont need to know or see where we are going because He is our destination; He is our prize. And simultaneously and just as importantly, He is the Way.  He is the vine, and we are the branches.  As we abide in Him (as we live in Him), He abides with us, and He produces His fruit in us.

Heavenly Father, thank you for allowing me to learn and grow.  Thank you for life in Christ, and thank you for the opportunity to be connected with others in your life.  Lord Jesus, I really want to serve my wife and sons to help them grow and mature into the people you have made them to be.  They are beautiful people, and I know that you will be honored by their lives.  Holy Spirit, please guide me and empower me to serve the Body by helping others grow in their walk with you.  I love you, and I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment