Monday, June 16, 2014

Peter's reinstatement

JOHN 21:15-17 ESV

When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs."  He said to him a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Tend my sheep."  He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" and he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep.

In His first two questions to Peter, the Greek word that Jesus used for "love" was ἀγαπάω (G25), but the Greek word for "love" that Peter used in his reply was φιλέω (G5368). The third time that Jesus asked Peter if he loved Him, Jesus used the word φιλέω.

A Brother recently challenged my interpretation of this passage, which is based on the difference in meaning of these two words. He claims that since the English Bible translators translate both of these Greek words simply as "love", then there is no significant difference, and therefore, an interpretation of the passage based on the difference of these two words is manufactured.  After thoughtful review and study, I disagree.

First, it is my belief that the Holy Spirit inspired the Gospel writer to record these words for a reason.  If there was no significant difference in the meaning of the words used, then wouldn't the Gospel writer simply used the same Greek word in all six occurrences of "love"?  (I believe that the words recorded in Scripture are neither random nor capricious.)

Second, in his definition of Greek terms, Strong articulated a subtle, yet significant difference in the meaning of these words:

Strong's Definition for φιλέω (G5368): From G5384; to be a friend to (fond of [an individual or an object]), that is, have affection for (denoting personal attachment, as a matter of sentiment or feeling; while G25 is wider, embracing especially the judgment and the deliberate assent of the will as a matter of principle, duty and propriety: the two thus stand related very much as G2309 and G1014, or as G2372 and G3563 respectively; the former being chiefly of the heart and the latter of the head);

Thus, I maintain my opinion that there exists a significant difference in the meaning of these terms, at least in this account, and that there may exist one or more profitable lessons/observations to be gained from analyzing and interpreting the differences of these words for "love" used in this account. 

Heavenly Father, you love us with an intentional and unconditional love, not based on feelings, which may be subject to change.  You have set your mind to love us, and you have demonstrated your love by giving your only begotten Son.  Because of your great love, we are not consumed.  I love you, and I pray that your love would be shown through me as you mold me into the image of Christ.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment