Monday, January 12, 2015

Baptism of the Holy Spirit

John 1:32-34 NIV
Then John gave this testimony: "I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. And I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.' I have seen and I testify that this is God's Chosen One."

This weekend, the Fitzgeralds sponsored a spiritual retreat and invited a guest speaker for our church.  It was a wonderful time, and here are a few summary points that impressed me:
- Matthew shared his testimony of moving from cessation to believing that spiritual gifts exist and then to actually operating with those gifts
- gifts of spirit unfold out of hearing from the Lord (e.g., feel an impression to pray or a word), then act in faith and obedience (deliver the mail)
- it will cost you to go on with the Lord
- Holy Spirit does the will of Christ and glorifies Him; Jesus is not separate from the Holy Spirit
- let us allow the Holy Spirit move among us
- Eph 4:30 stop grieving the Holy Spirit
- Holy Spirit will limit ministry THROUGH you if you are grieving Him - sin, unforgiveness, hate
- 1 Thes 5:19 quench the Spirit vs. Timothy fan into flames
- there are so many churches that care more about what the visitors think than what the Holy Spirit thinks
- I would rather our church be a messy delivery room and operating room than quiet as a cemetery
- grow in our sensitivity to what the Lord wants us to do

At one point in the retreat, I asked myself, how long am I going to talk ABOUT the power of God before I finally start DEMONSTRATING it.

I have felt awkward about the "baptism of the Holy Spirit" because of the hyper-pentacostal connotations.   But I want to be a follower of Jesus, and I read the past several days that John the Baptist said that Jesus would baptize with the Holy Spirit.  So, then I should want to be baptized in the Holy Spirit.

Heavenly Father, please help me not be religious, and help me follow Jesus.  Please help me listen to you speaking, and help me walk in obedience.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment