Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Elijah and Elisha as types of Christ and the Church

In the children's Bible that I read with the boys at night, a couple of days ago I read the story of Elijah getting a chariot ride to Heaven.  I have always thought that it was interesting that Elisha had the idea to ask for a double-portion of his spirit (2 Kings 2:9).  I have not double-checked (ha! no pun intended) this for myself, but I have heard that the Scriptures list twice as many miracles for Elisha as Elijah.

I think Elijah could be a type of Christ, and Elisha could be a type of the Church.  Jesus told his disciples that we would do even greater things than He (John 14:12), and then He told them about sending the Holy Spirit.  Since we have the Spirit of Christ and the Holy Spirit, in a way, we have a double-portion of the Spirit.

Wouldn't it be awesome if we saw disciples all over the world doing the works of Christ: healing the crippled, healing the sick, casting out demons, raising the dead!

How do you enter into that level of operation?  Elisha got to watch Elijah and then replicate. The disciples got to watch Jesus do it and then replicate.  Who do I get to watch?

Heavenly Father, I praise you for your goodness and power.  Lord Jesus, please give me a double-portion of your Spirit.  I want to do your works, and even greater things.  Holy Spirit, please lead me and empower me.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment