Sunday, September 13, 2015

Training versus maintaining

1 Corinthians 9:24-25 NIV
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

Run in such a way as to get first place.  That is pretty challenging.  There is a significant difference between committing to exercise consistently to stay fit versus just not being concerned about fitness.  But then there is a significant difference between a commitment to fitness and training to WIN a competition.  Staying fit requires discipline and committment, but training to win consumes you.  When you are training to win, everything in your day and week centers around winning, and it seems to me that the critical difference is a commitment to continuous improvement.  You never settle for "good enough"; you are constantly striving for "better" so that you can be the best.  I think we should continue striving until we become like Christ.

Ephesians 4:15 NIV
Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.

Heavenly Father, please help me have more than a commitment to be spiritually disicplined; help me have a commitment to continuous improvement.  Lord Jesus, I want to train for being like you.  Holy Spirit, empower me and coach me; give me strength, and challenge me to push harder and run farther with you.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment