Friday, April 1, 2016

Hiking the ridgeline

Last Friday, my colleague John led me on a hike of the El Paso mountain ridgeline from Scenic Drive to Transmountain.  We covered over eight miles in a little over eight hours, averaging just over one mile per hour.  Something like 3700 feet of total ascent and 1200 feet of descent, almost a whole mile of vertical climbing.  We had a great conversation about life, work, religion, faith, politics, medicine, health, and family.  It is impressive how small and insignificant your stressful daily routine seems when viewed from a couple of thousand feet above.

There were several points along the hike where we came to a steep section (either to scale or descend), and I promptly began looking for a way around, but John (a very experienced climber, and almost twice my age) would simply keep going.  I followed cautiously.  I observed a few principles.  First, many times it would seem easier to go around an obstacle, but the Lord gives us strength to go over it and master it, while gaining maturity, skill, and humble confidence.  Second, it is so helpful to follow someone who is more experienced and knows the way.  (If the Lord tarries, I hope I am as vital and vigorous as John when I am his age.)

There were two serious challenges- the "knife edge" and the "window".  The knife edge was a very narrow section of the ridge line, maybe 20 feet long, with sheer cliffs on both sides.  You had to hold on to the top of the ridge and carefully perch your feet on the side of the cliff, and slowly make your way across the side of the ridge.  John went across first, and he was recording me on video, so I had to keep my composure.  I decided that I wasn't going to look down.  It is not helpful to focus on the danger and feed your fear.

The "window" was a very steep section that we ascended.  It was so steep that it felt like my backpack could pull me backwards off the cliff.  I decided that I wasn't going to look down or think about falling.  I decided to focus on hugging the cliff and making good choices of handholds and footholds.

About halfway through the hike, between the knife edge and the window, my legs were so tired.  But I had committed to John that I would complete the hike.  I willed myself to keep putting one foot in front of the other, and by the end of the hike, my legs were dead.  It is amazing how far you can push your body past its perceived limits when you have your mind set.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the adventure that you have given me.  Holy Spirit, thank you for leading me and guiding me, for teaching me, and for taking me beyond what I could do.  Lord Jesus, thank you for your example to follow.  LORD, I want to be a strong man; help me set my will on following you.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment