Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Quid pro quo

Judges 11:30-31 NIV
And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD: "If you give the Ammonites into my hands, whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the Lord 's, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering."

I realize that God had instituted a religious law of blessing contingent on obedience, but I think that Jephthah's vow was neither necessary nor desirable by God.  The only human sacrifice that God required was Jesus.

Sometimes it is tempting for us to make a deal with God, but I don't recall any New Testament examples of getting God to do something.   I think in the age of grace in which we live, we simply ask for more grace. 

Heavenly Father, I praise you because you are gracious.  Lord Jesus, thank you for your abundant grace.  Holy Spirit, thank you for continuing to bless.  Lord, may I press in to ask you for more, confident that you will give because you are the Good Father, and I am your son.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment