Sunday, April 10, 2016

Hearing God's voice

1 Sam 3:8 A third time the LORD called, "Samuel!" And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, "Here I am; you called me." Then Eli realized that the LORD was calling the boy. 9 So Eli told Samuel, "Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, 'Speak, LORD, for your servant is listening.' " So Samuel went and lay down in his place. 10 The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, "Samuel! Samuel!"  Then Samuel said, "Speak, for your servant is listening."
 
If Samuel's instinct was to go report to Eli, then I think he heard God speaking to him audibly.  The presence of God came and stood there with Samuel.  Woudn't it be awesome if God would do that today?

Wait.  Maybe He does.

16 ... this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:
17" 'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. 18 Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy.


Joel (and Peter) said that God will pour out His Spirit on ALL people. That includes me.  And they will prophesy.  I think that means that we will hear God, and we will share what He said with others.

I want to daily open myself to hearing God's voice and being ready to share what He said.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the example in your Word of you visiting Samuel and speaking to him.  Thank you for the promise of the outpouring of your Spirit and your spoken word.  Lord God, we love you, and we want to know you.  We want to hear you and share your thoughts with others.  Lord, please speak to me.  I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment