Friday, March 3, 2017

Shepherding and rest

I was reading this familiar story of Jesus feeding the five thousand, and I was drawn to how Jesus was a shepherd to the people:

When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he began teaching them many things. ... Then Jesus directed them to have all the people sit down in groups on the green grass.
Mark 6:34‭, ‬39 NIV

I was thinking about how shepherdless sheep wander, get scared, run scattered, and might not find food, and might not rest.  And then contrast that with reclining in lush, soft, green grass (with no allergies).  He provides rest, and He provides food.  He provides.

And then I noticed how King David spoke of the Lord in the very same manner:

The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his nameʼs sake.
Psalm 23:1‭-‬3 NIV

As we dwell on His goodness and thank Him for taking care of us, He refreshes our souls.

Yesterday, I ran into a Brother at the ASCE conference, and he was asking if I had recovered from RMSF.  I joked that the Lord had been telling me to slow down and rest, but I didn't.  I certainly don't think the Lord gave me RMSF, but I do believe He uses all things for the good of Him who love Him and are called according to His purpose.  But, considering how busy I have been recently, I can't say that I actually learned a lesson of rest from RMSF.  I need to learn to integrate rest consistently in my lifestyle because Jesus commands us to rest.  He makes us lie down in green pastures.  I want to be obedient.  I need to be obedient.

Heavenly Father, thank you for speaking to me this morning.  Thank you for your word, and thank you for commanding me to rest.  Lord Jesus, you are the Good Shepherd, and I trust you.  Holy Spirit, thank you for your presence and conviction that I need to rest.  I want to honor your lordship by obeying your command.  And I want to enjoy your rest.  I love you, and I thank you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment