Wednesday, October 11, 2017

motivation

I attended the first session of a UTEP leadership development series yesterday afternoon, and President Diana Natalicio was the first speaker.  She shared her inspiring story of growing up in a blue collar family and how high quality education in elementary school and college empowered her to live an impactful life.  She talked about how money and prestige do not motivate her and that, instead, she is motivated by making a lasting impact in the lives of other people, especially through education.  She talked about how an aspect of leadership is understanding what motivates you and making an impact in what you are passionate about.

Walking back to teach class, I sent Brandi a text message and asked her what motivates me (without any context for my question).  She replied, "Bringing glory to God, helping others, pointing people to Jesus, knowing what you are doing has a real impact on lives, naturally strong work ethic is part of your character."  To be honest, I feel like I am more motivated by what other people think of me than bringing glory to God, but she knows me better than I do, so I am going to trust her and agree with her in faith.  As I consider the life of Jesus, He was totally motivated by glorifying and pleasing the Father.  I want to be like Jesus.  I want to be passionate about God's glory.  In John 17, Jesus's prayed about glory:

John 17:1 After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed: "Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. 2 For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. 3 Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. 4 I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.

I want to be singularly focused on His glory and doing the work that He has prepared for me.
 
Eph. 2:10 For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Father, thank you for adopting me as your son.  I want to live like Jesus lived - focused on glorifying you and pleasing you by knowing you and doing the work that you have prepared for me to do.  I want to fulfill my God-given purpose.  By your grace, I am a Spirit-filled, Spirit-led son of God, and I will love you, walk with you, and glorify you.  I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment