Thursday, October 3, 2019

For the praise of His glory

Ephesians 1:11‭-‬14 NIV
In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory.

Twice Paul explains that our purpose is to praise His glory.  I was meditating on this yesterday as I drove to work.  I want to fulfill my purpose; I want to praise His glory.  And I don't think that is accomplished by simply saying, "God I praise your glory."  I assume that it is fulfilled both implicitly and explicitly.

Earlier this week, I was on the phone with another professor, and I asked him if he had any other questions that I could help with.  He jokingly asked, "What is the meaning of life?". I jokingly answered, "42".  And then I realized the opportunity to share something sincere, so I said something like, "No, I think you have God-given gifts, skills, and talents that you can use to help people."   I don't think my answer was entirely inaccurate, but I walked away from that conversation feeling like I shorted the answer.  It was incomplete.  After reading Ephesians 1 yesterday, I wish I had told him that he was made for a wonderful and personal relationship with his good spiritual Father through Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.  Hopefully, the Holy Spirit will give me another chance.

Father, you are good, and your way of redeeming us is amazing.  I want to praise your glory.  Please show me how to do that better.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment