Wednesday, December 5, 2007

choosing sides

 
I was impressed by the account of Jesus's betrayal and "trial" in Luke 22.  At the "trial," the soldiers blindfolded Jesus, hit Him [in the face], and then mocked Him about prophesying which one hit Him.  Can you imagine sitting blindfolded while people punch you in the face?!  You wouldn't know when to expect the blow, so it would just be one unsuspected recoil after another.  He sat through that for you and me, and that's how ugly our sin is.  It was practically you and me striking Him in the face and mocking His lordship.
 
Some of James's remarks resonate harmonically after those sobering thoughts, particularly chapter 4:
4 ... Don't you realize that friendship with the world makes you an enemy of God? I say it again: If you want to be a friend of the world, you make yourself an enemy of God. ... 6 But he gives us even more grace to stand against such evil desires. As the Scriptures say, "God opposes the proud but favors the humble."   7 So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world. 9 Let there be tears for what you have done. Let there be sorrow and deep grief. Let there be sadness instead of laughter, and gloom instead of joy. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor.
I think in verse 8, James was drawing from Psalm 24:3-5:
3 Who may climb the mountain of the Lord?
      Who may stand in his holy place?
 4 Only those whose hands and hearts are pure,
      who do not worship idols
      and never tell lies.
 5 They will receive the Lord's blessing
      and have a right relationship with God their savior.
Application - I need to make a clear decision in my mind to be a friend of Christ and not to be friends with this world.  There needs to be a clear distinction between my life as a Christian and any non-believer's lifestyle.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, give me clean hands and a pure heart.  Lord, I lift up my soul only to you; show me any idols in my life.  Lord, I want to humble myself before you; I want to draw close to you, and I pray that you will draw close to me.  Please forgive me of hurting you.  Jesus, thank you for enduring the horrible treatment and the cross.  I pray that I will live in honor of your sacrifice.  I pray this in the name that is above every name, Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment