Thursday, December 13, 2007

second-order redundancy

 
I have been drawn to notice this feedback-loop of faith and obedience in my devotions of the past two days, and for a third day in a row (a second-order redundancy), I find yet another set of scriptures supporting this principle.
John 6:27 ... Spend your energy seeking the eternal life that the Son of Man can give you. ...  29 Jesus told them, "This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent."  ... 40 For it is my Father's will that all who see his Son and believe in him should have eternal life. ...
 
2 John 1:3 Grace, mercy, and peace, which come from God the Father and from Jesus Christ—the Son of the Father—will continue to be with us who live in truth and love. ...   5 I am writing to remind you, dear friends, that we should love one another. ... 6 Love means doing what God has commanded us, and he has commanded us to love one another, just as you heard from the beginning.
 
3 John 1:11 ... Follow only what is good. Remember that those who do good prove that they are God's children, and those who do evil prove that they do not know God.
I was meditating on this faith-obedience interaction, and I was thinking, "God, how do I obey you."  I got the impression that I simply need to follow through with (1) God's moral will and (2) His specific will in my life ( e.g., (1) I need to live my daily life in a way that is consistent with the principles of righteous living that are illustrated in the Bible, and (2) I need to diligently work on my dissertation, follow His call to teach a Sunday School class starting in January, follow His call in other roles of responsibility in the local church, etc.)
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for sending your Son Jesus to bring us eternal life.  Lord, I pray that I will be obedient to the Scriptures in righteous living, and I pray that I will be obedient and faithful in the specific directions you have given in my life.  Lord, I pray that I would not get bogged down with religion, but that I would have a dynamic and interactive relationship with you - that I would know and love you more.  Lord, please reveal more of yourself to me.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment