Thursday, December 6, 2007

reaching your full potential in Christ

 
I went to men's prayer breakfast this morning at our church where our pastor is going through a series about "The man God uses."  Today we talked about "Surrender: avoiding the waste of underemployment" in a study of the Apostle Peter from Matthew 4:18-20.  Peter was originally a fisherman, but Jesus called him to be a fisher of men.  If Peter had stayed doing what he was doing (fishing for fish), then he would have been underemployed according to God's economy.  Pastor shared these three points:
  1. Jesus sees a surrendered man for what he will become.
  2. Jesus calls a surrendered man to forsake all for His call.
  3. Jesus promises a surrendered man His presence and power.
This morning's Bible reading was really enhanced by looking at these passages through the lens of God's economy (i.e., God's good pleasure and plan to dispense Himself into us via Jesus Christ).  Summarizing: our faith in Christ leads us towards obedience, which is a practical demonstration of our faith.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I believe that you have a specific plan for my life, and I want to live out the wonderful things you have planned for me.  Lord, help me hear your call, and give me faith to obey and prove that your will really is the best!  God, I want to serve you with all my heart!  Help me, Lord.  I beg you in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment