Tuesday, December 11, 2007

how do I know I'm a Christian?

 
Jesus is the singular and exclusive, necessary and sufficient condition for eternal salvation!
1 John 1:1 ... we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous. 2 He himself is the sacrifice that atones for our sins—and not only our sins but the sins of all the world. ... 22 And who is a liar? Anyone who says that Jesus is not the Christ. Anyone who denies the Father and the Son is an antichrist. 23 Anyone who denies the Son doesn't have the Father, either. But anyone who acknowledges the Son has the Father also.
And how can I know if I have faith in Jesus Christ? 
1 John 2:5 But those who obey God's word truly show how completely they love him. That is how we know we are living in him. 6 Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did.
And how did Jesus live?  In complete obedience to the Father:
John 4:13 Jesus replied, "Anyone who drinks this water will soon become thirsty again. 14 But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life." ... 26 Then Jesus told her, "I Am the Messiah!" ... 34 Then Jesus explained: "My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, who sent me, and from finishing his work. 35 You know the saying, 'Four months between planting and harvest.' But I say, wake up and look around. The fields are already ripe for harvest.
What is a person's appropriate response?
1 John 2:24 So you must remain faithful to what you have been taught from the beginning. If you do, you will remain in fellowship with the Son and with the Father. 25 And in this fellowship we enjoy the eternal life he promised us.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for the sacrifice of Jesus Christ that payed the penalty of death for my sin.  Lord, I confess that Jesus is the Christ - the Messiah!  I want to obey you and be faithful to live like Jesus did - in complete obedience to you.  Lord, help me live a faithful life of obedience in the practical things that happen today.  Help me be loving and compassionate to my wife, help me share the joy of Christ with my friends, and may my heart and mind be pure before you.  I pray that you will be what I desire most.  Lord, keep me pure for you.  I pray this in the Holy name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment