Monday, December 17, 2007

hearing and shining

Proverbs 17

John 10

Revelation 6

Revelation 7

 

John 10 records Jesus's analogy of the Good Shepherd and His sheep, and I was really drawn to verses 4 and 5:

4 After he has gathered his own flock, he walks ahead of them, and they follow him because they know his voice. 5 They won't follow a stranger; they will run from him because they don't know his voice."

I asked myself the question, "Do I know His voice?  Do I listen to the voices of the Enemy and the World more than I listen to His voice."  For instance, on my way to catch the bus at the Park and Ride this morning, I gassed it to try to make the light but ended up running through the intersection just after the light turned red.  This is tragic, especially since I had to speed to get to the intersection in time to run it red.  As I sat on the bus (which I may or may not have caught if I had waited at the light), I appologized to God and asked Him to forgive me.  Even watching television, it is easy to listen to the world's voice - "I should buy that car... I need that big TV... That stuff will make me fashionable...  I need all of that to make me valuable..."

 

On the bus ride into work this morning, I was captivated by the beautiful sky that showcased the glorious transformation from night to sunrise to morning light.  It is very crisp and clear this morning, so there were a few clouds in the sky, but it was mostly a perfect vertical gradation of color from saturated red-orange at the horizon transitioning through yellow, green, and blue to a very dark, violet sky.  As the sun began to rise, I was reminded of the verse in Proverbs 4:18 -

18 The way of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, which shines ever brighter until the full light of day.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, please cleanse my mind and my heart.  I pray that you will shine in me and through me like the sunrise this morning.  I pray that the Light of the Son would radiate in my speech and actions.  Lord, please wash me in the Holy Spirit, and lead me to follow you.  Lord, I want to hear your voice.  I need to hear your voice.  Lord, help me dispiseTheif comes to steal, kill, and destroy, but you died and live to give me abundant life!  I praise you for the Sacrifice of the Lamb, who is worthy to open the scrolls and control time itself.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, the perfect Lamb.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment