Friday, December 4, 2009

this generation shall not pass away

Luke 21, Revelation 8

Last night at Bible study, we ended up "randomly" talking about the Luke 21 Scripture passage that I read this morning.  Part of our discussion concerned the "this generation shall not pass away" statement in Jesus's prophecy.  I was trying to remember what I had thought of before about this passage, and after consulting some commentaries this morning, I remembered that I think His statement is fulfilled short-term literally and long-term spiritually.  In the short-term, within 40 years of Christ's statement, the city of Jerusalem was literally demolished (so there were still people living from when Jesus made that prophecy).  In the long-term, the Jewish race (which can also be reasonably interpreted from the greek word for "generation") will not pass away before the age of the Gentiles is completed.

Again, it is a sobering reminder to be diligent in our love and pursuit of the Lord Jesus:

25 "And there will be strange signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. 26People will be terrified at what they see coming upon the earth, for the powers in the heavens will be shaken. 27 Then everyone will see the Son of Man coming on a cloud with power and great glory. 28 So when all these things begin to happen, stand and look up, for your salvation is near!"

 29 Then he gave them this illustration: "Notice the fig tree, or any other tree. 30 When the leaves come out, you know without being told that summer is near. 31 In the same way, when you see all these things taking place, you can know that the Kingdom of God is near. 32 I tell you the truth, this generation will not pass from the scene until all these things have taken place. 33 Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will never disappear.

 34 "Watch out! Don't let your hearts be dulled by carousing and drunkenness, and by the worries of this life. Don't let that day catch you unaware, 35 like a trap. For that day will come upon everyone living on the earth. 36 Keep alert at all times. And pray that you might be strong enough to escape these coming horrors and stand before the Son of Man."

Heavenly Father, I praise you for your sovereignty.  I trust that you will accomplish all that you have set out to do.  May my heart be guarded against this world and soft toward you.  May I continue to grow and look forward to Christ's return.  I pray that I will be ready on that day to welcome Him and that He will be pleased with my life.  This is only by your grace, and I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, my Salvation.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Alright, I'm paying attention now. Amazing how God does that. Thanks Shane.

    ReplyDelete