Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Ecuador 2014 - Part 2

Friday

Our host and hostess were such sweet people.  May the Lord bless them for their hospitality and kindness.

In the morning, Steve, Janet, and I had the opportunity to visit the municipal water treatment plant in Samborondón.  They currently have a traditional aeration and chlorination treatment of groundwater, but they have recently installed and are soon to begin operation of a  new state of the art water treatment plant including pre-sedimentation, pre-ozonation, coagulation, flocculation, sedimentation, sand filtration, and post-chlorination for residual disinfection.  It was so encouraging to see the development of civil infrastructure in this region, especially since the treatment process was designed and manufactured on Ecuador.  It also gave me confidence that what I teach in my courses is generally applicable around the world.

On the drive from Samborondón back to El Recreo, Steve, Geovanni, and I discussed relational evangelism and how we have to be intentional and bold in sharing the Gospel, but we also have to be genuine in our love and relationship with people as we share the Gospel.  After packing up clothes for a few days, we talked about discipleship as we drove from El Recreo to Olon (on the coast, northwest of Guayaquil).

We stopped at a gas station, and Geovanni talked me into coffee... soon, everyone had a snack.  We had a great time conversing, but it was especially encouraging for me because it is the first time that I remember understanding a conversation well enough that I understood a joke in Spanish, and we all laughed together (without someone having to explain it to me in English).  I have wanted to learn Spanish for so many years, and I feel like I noticed significant improvement.

Friday afternoon, we had a late lunch on the beach before making it to Olon.  We had the great privelege of providing a marriage retreat for the leaders of the regional Iglesia de Cristo Iberoamericana (ICI) churches.  I was so exited to help provide a retreat that I would have loved to have participated in myself.

While the couples were in their first session, we snuck into their hotel rooms and left them chocolates on their pillows.  That was pretty fun.

Our team had another discussion based on the book Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning.  We were pretty honest and transparent with each other, and I had opportunity to pray for one of our teammates regarding a troubling health condition.

Saturday

When I woke up, I went for a swim by myself in the ocean.  It was pretty brisk, but I don't have the opportunity in El Paso, so i wanted to take advantage.  I was impressed with the loudness and power of the waves. After showering, I searched for Scriptures with "waves" and found Psalm 93:3-5

"The floods have lifted up, O Lord , the floods have lifted up their voice; the floods lift up their roaring.  Mightier than the thunders of many waters, mightier than the waves of the sea, the Lord on high is mighty! 

After the morning session, we oversaw a couple of games for the couples to play together in competition against the other couples.  I think it was really important to have these games to balance the serious sessions.

Saturday afternoon, while the couples had time to walk the beach, we distributed filters in San Jose and Curia.  In the last house, they offered us some homemade salted fish.  I have never eaten sardines before, but these looked like little white minnows. I tried not to think about it too long, and I just ate it quickly. Man I was glad that I kept it down.

During the third session (that evening), our team spent time praying for the couples.  I prayed especially that the Lord would encourage them in their marriages and in their ministries.  I need to be more intentional about praying for the marriage relationships of leaders in Paseo.

Sunday

Steve and I woke up early and went for a swim in the ocean. I told Steve about a bad dream that I had that night; he listened and responded with grace.  Steve is a good friend.  I am not sure why I haven't been more intentional about hanging out with him.  He is a kind and genuine man, and I should be a better friend to him.

After breakfast, during the fourth and final marriage session, Steve and I walked around the town in search of bread and wine for our team to have communion together.  We had a great conversation about emulating the ministry of Christ, especially the balance between fostering communal living among disciples, as well as living missionaly and engaging people of peace.  I believe we share a common perspective.  It was special to take communion together as a team.

After the last session, I felt impressed to encourage Karen with a word that the Lord had given me for her.  The local culture where she is serving is very oppressive of women; they are treated like property.  On Wednesday, someone had called Karen and said some very mean things to her, discouraging her to the point of giving up.  I told her that I believed the enemy was attacking her because she is being salt and light in that community.  I told her that she is a powerful woman because Jesus is in her, and "greater is He who is in us than he who is in the world".  I encouraged her to persevere in her ministry to women, because she is working to change culture, and that takes time.  And then I shared 1 Cor 15:57-58, which Karen said was very encouraging to her:

"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.   Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain."

After returning to El Recreo Sunday evening, we packed up our luggage for an early departure on Monday morning.  At that point, it was very late in the evening, but we went ahead with a debriefing with Marcelo, Geovanni, Kathy, and Luis.  They were so appreciative of our time, investment, and partnership with them.

Monday

They called us "missionaries".  Slowly accepting some of that identity.  On the ride to the airport, Geovanni told me that I am not a missionary, I am family.  I read to Geovanni the great commission (in Spanish), and I told him that I believe that they are making disciples.

Heavenly Father, you have blessed me so richly!  Thank you so much for allowing me to participate in your kingdom work.  May I be faithful to love you and obey you, and may you recieve all of the glory. I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment