Thursday, July 3, 2014

Will it count?

I ran into a professor at lunch last week.  He asked me how I was doing and how my research is coming along.  In my previous conversations with him, he usually mentions recent grant awards, publications, and something about him being an editor of a prestigious journal.  In academia, it sure is easy to get caught up in the rat race of proposals, publications, and prestige.

Lecrae posted this on his Facebook page last week (Jun 26):
"Don't envy the rat for the cheese in his trap."

I am beginning to be able to see the trap.

I think it is ironic that administrators push research for the sake of prestige.  Research may eventually produce a net benefit in people's lives (though generally indirectly), but teaching impacts people directly and immediately.

I was walking through the parking lot yesterday, and the thought occurred to me, "Does that hot-shot professor actually believe that when he stands before Christ for judgment, that his publications and accolades will be valuable in eternity?"

I shared this thought with Brogden this afternoon, and he gently, but frankly, pointed out that it is not my job to judge someone else, and in fact, I need to ask the question of myself and my own work.  Do I actually believe that my work will survive the fire of the bema seat evaluation of Christ?

I think I need to invest more time in teaching and mentoring graduate students.  I believe that there are powerful opportunities for me to significantly impact students.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your patience with me.  Lord, please help me invest in what you want me to do and not be driven by the world's trapped perspective of sucess. May I find my sucess and validation in you.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment