Sunday, September 7, 2014

Good conversations

Wednesday,  I went to lunch with a colleague, and he told me that he is going to church but doesn't consider himself a believer.  He said that, as a scientist, he can't believe in the supernatural because it is not observeable.  He asked me what I thought about him practicing the moral principles of Christianity (like humility and selflessness) without believing, and I told him that I think there are a lot of Americans who think they believe, but they do not even practice what Jesus taught.  He said that he wants to be a good person.  I asked him what his definition of "good" is, and he said that was a good question.  He said that hurting people is bad.  I agreed with him.  I told him that I had read 1 Cor 12 that morning, and I believed that God has given each of us certain spiritual proficiencies (gifts) to use in collaboration with Him to accomplish the good things that He has prepared for us (Eph 2:10).  I hope we get to visit again soon.

I drove to a research facility on Friday with a grad student, and we had a good conversation.  I said something to him about the difference between being a convert and a disciple.  He asked me how many disciples I've made.  I shared my story of how I realized that being a disciple is a lot more than being a convert.  I told him that I am still growing as a disciple maker.

Yesterday morning, Brandi hosted a baby shower, and I ran a 5k (pushing Beau and Jude in the stroller).  We went over to Steve F's house until the shower was over.  It was good to visit with him. And I think the implicit accountability of his friendship helps me be a better dad, especially in disciplining my boys.  (At lunch today, too.)

Heavenly Father, thank you for the opportunity to talk and listen.  Lord, please help me share you clearly to my colleagues,  and please help me be a disciple maker.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment