Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Potlucks and the Lord's supper

Biblical support for potlucks:

1 COR 11:20-21, 33 NIV
So then, when you come together, it is not the Lord's Supper you eat, for when you are eating, some of you go ahead with your own private suppers. As a result, one person remains hungry and another gets drunk. ... So then, my brothers and sisters, when you gather to eat, you should all eat together.

But seriously, I think celebrating the Lord's supper inherently preaches the death, resurrection, ascension, and return of Christ:

1 COR 11:26 NIV
For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes.

Verse 26 bookends His death and return, but I suggest that His resurrection and ascension are distinct and necessary intermediates.

Heavenly Father, thank you for salvation through faith in Christ and His death, resurrection, ascension, and promised return.  Thank you for your grace and love.  Holy Spirit, please lead me in growing in my faith and sharing this faith with others.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment