Sunday, September 14, 2014

Ministry of reconciliation

These are some of the most mind blowing verses in the Bible:

2CO 5:17-21 NIV
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

We went to Lubbock this weekend to see cousins and go to Rutledge's first birthday party.   I went to the mall to get my hair cut yesterday, and the barber who cut my hair was pleasant and conversant.  He told me that he grew up in southern California,  but he got into trough and ended up moving to Lubbock.  He said that he was blessed because he had some family here who helped him get on his feet.  I asked him if he was part of a church.  He replied that he was "not very religious", grew up Catholic, married a Baptist.  I was trying to think of a follow up question when he simply volunteered, "I think when I die, I will continue to be part of the universe in some way." I told him that a speaker at a retreat that I attended told us, "God sees you; He knows you; He loves you; and He has a good plan for your life."  I told him that I believe that if you believe in Jesus and have a relationship with Him, then you will spend eternity with Him.

But I wish I had been more bold.  I wish I had told Him what it says in 2 Cor 5.  Jesus makes us new.  He has reconciled us to Himself, and as an ambassador of Jesus, I implore you to be reconciled to God.  He is not counting your sin against you because Christ Jesus bore that punishment.  And now we are adopted into His family, and we join with Him in accomplishing His good will.

Heavenly Father, please help me share the good news of Jesus Christ.  Lord, as your ambassador, please help me be bold in this ministry of reconciliation.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment