Thursday, September 11, 2014

Words of encouragement

2 Cor 2

A couple of weeks ago, a former student asked for some advice about jobs and licensure.  She sent me an email today saying that she received a job offer, and she is signed up to take the FE. She thanked me for the encouragement.

I felt impressed to send an encouraging email to my pastor yesterday.  He replied and told me that it was very timely because he was feeling down after his parents left.

This morning on my prayer walk, I felt impressed to speak a word of encouragement to one of my colleagues.   She worked diligently on a project that didn't go as planned, so i told her that she shouldn't take it personally and that this is the nature of research (a lot of shoulda, coulda, woulda).  She told me later that my encouragement was perfect timing.  I told her that if anything good comes from me, it is not me but God working good through me.

About eight years ago,  Pastor Lewis told me that I have a gift of encouragement.   Looking back, I think the only reason that I was on the high school basketball team was because I worked hard in practice and encouraged people.

I was a bad pessimist until about six years ago.  I think the Lord changed my perspective.  Now I think I need to be sensitive to listen to the Holy Spirit telling me words of encouragement to share with others.

1 Cor 15 a couple of days ago... Jesus conquered sin and death, and he has made us co-victors.   But how do I appropriate that reality in my tired and frustrated daily life?  How do I maintain a good attitude and encourage others instead of getting burned out and cynical?

Heavenly Father, thank you for your faithful love and kindness.  Thank you for the privelege of colaboring with you in your Kingdom.  Please help me grow in maturity and wisdom in the gifts that you have given me.  May I be useful to you.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment