Friday, February 6, 2015

Unoffendable

Last Saturday evening, Brant Hansen came and spoke to our church about his book, Unoffendable.   The thesis is simply that we do not have a right to be angry.  As humans, we get angry, but since we are not God, we are to entitled to anger.  And from an evangelical perspective, what would the world think of Christians if we were all unoffendable?

Brant shared two points that I saw as sufficient justification for his argument.  The first was Jesus's parable of the unforgiving servant (Matt 18:21-35).  Brant posed the question, "Who are we in the story?"  Most often, we are the unmercifal servant, sometimes the second servant,  but never the King.  The second point was James 1:19-20:

"My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires."

Okay, so intellectually and theologically, I agree and believe that I should get rid of anger, but practically, how do I do that?  Especially when I have told my boys three times not to do something, and they do it again.

Brant also suggested that it doesn't appear that God disciplined Job for expressing his anger/frustration to God.  God corrected Job, but He didn't punish him.  So, perhaps we have the freedom to cast all of our cares on Christ, even our frustration and anger.

Heavenly Father, I want to be unoffendable.  I want to trust you to accomplish justice.  And I want to have a biased perspecive of justice because of the grace that I have received.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment