Monday, July 27, 2015

guilty

I have said before that Jesus was falsely accused so that the religious leaders could kill him.  But I was impressed this morning by the reality that, while Jesus was indeed falsely accused, Jesus was ultimately sentenced to death because He is the Messiah, the Son of God:

NLT Mark 14:55 Inside, the leading priests and the entire high council were trying to find evidence against Jesus, so they could put him to death. But they couldn't find any. 56 Many false witnesses spoke against him, but they contradicted each other. 57 Finally, some men stood up and gave this false testimony: 58 "We heard him say, 'I will destroy this Temple made with human hands, and in three days I will build another, made without human hands.'" 59 But even then they didn't get their stories straight! 60 Then the high priest stood up before the others and asked Jesus, "Well, aren't you going to answer these charges? What do you have to say for yourself?" 61 But Jesus was silent and made no reply. Then the high priest asked him, "Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?" 62 Jesus said, "I am. And you will see the Son of Man seated in the place of power at God's right hand and coming on the clouds of heaven."

NLT Luke 22:66 At daybreak all the elders of the people assembled, including the leading priests and the teachers of religious law. Jesus was led before this high council, 67 and they said, "Tell us, are you the Messiah?" But he replied, "If I tell you, you won't believe me. 68 And if I ask you a question, you won't answer. 69 But from now on the Son of Man will be seated in the place of power at God's right hand." 70 They all shouted, "So, are you claiming to be the Son of God?" And he replied, "You say that I am."

Fundamentally, Jesus died because He is the Messiah, the Son of God.  

Heavenly Father, thank you for giving Jesus as the sacrifice for the sin of the world.  Lord Jesus, thank you for your faithfulness to our Father's will.  Teach me to be faithful.  Holy Spirit, please guide me to a more humble and grateful appreciation for what Jesus did for me.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment