Monday, July 20, 2015

Floating the river

On Saturday, we floated a section of the Frio river.  I was thinking about the analogy of floating down the river of life, and I thought of two seperate analogies. 

During the first hour, I spent so much effort trying to keep Brandi's tube on the right, and the boys' tube on the left, and all of us facing downstream.  I spent so much time managing our configuration that I was missing the peace of just going with the flow and trusting the current to take us downstream.  I think I do this in life.  I spent too much time trying to figure out how to keep everything the way I want it to that I miss the beauty of the scenery around me.

Near the end of the float, the stream was wide, and we were moving very slowly.  A mild headwind came through and started blowing us back upstream.  I had to paddle a little bit, and then I jumped into the river to tow my family downstream.  I was thinking about how, as a husband and a father, I need to be seeking the Lord to know which direction to go, and when the winds of adversity come against us, I need to work to keep us moving in the right direction.

Heavenly Father, I want to be moving with you.  Holy Spirit, I want to be in your flow, and I don't want to be overly concerned about how you are moving me, as long as I am going forward with you.  Help me to trust you.  Please give me wisdom as I lead my family, and please give me discernment to know when I am fighting a headwind.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment