Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Stop letting anger control you

James 1:19‭-‬20; 2:12-13; 3:10,18 NIV
My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. ... Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment. ... Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. ... Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.

Pretty clear.  The issue with this passage is not with understanding the principle, but with the degree of implementation and obedience.

The Lord is convicting me to be more gentle in how I speak to my boys, especially when they have been disobedient or disrespectful.  I want to sow seeds of peace in their hearts so that they grow a crop of righteousness.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your love, gentleness, and patience with me.  Lord Jesus, thank you for your example of gentleness with sinners.  Holy Spirit, thank you for your conviction in my heart.  Deliver me from anger, from angry behavioral habits, and flow your peace through me into the lives of my children.  I love you and thank you for your work of sanctification.  I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment