Friday, February 17, 2017

Sowing seeds

The last several days, I have read the parable of the farmer sowing seeds.

About a week ago, I saw a co-worker sitting on a bench in the hallway.  I thought he was waiting for a meeting, but he told me that his leg was hurting and weak.  I wanted to pray for him, but another prof walked up, and I chickened out.  But Wednesday morning, I saw him limping in the hallway, about to take the stairs, and I caught him and asked him if I could pray for him.  He told me that he was atheist, but I could pray for him.  I prayed three quick prayers, but the pain stayed around a 1-2 level.  As he was leaving, he told me that the real problem was that his leg and knee were weak.  I thought to myself, why didn't I ask him what the main problem was?  I prayed for him silently as he left, "Lord, show your goodness."

Yesterday morning, before handing out the exams, I asked the class of 100 students, "Does anyone have any questions?  It's never too late to ask a question." One of the students on the front row asked, jokingly "What is the meaning of life?". I replied, "I think Jesus answered that explicitly; he said, 'This is eternal life, to know the one true God, and the one he has sent." The student said, 'Wow, good answer."

A couple of weeks ago, an international postdoc told me that he was still waiting on his visa to be approved so that he could take one of the several offers that he had.  I could tell that he was very stressed, especially in the current political context.  I prayed for him, a quick prayer, asking the Lord to deliver the work permit to him quickly. Earlier this week, with tears in his eyes, he told me that he had been anxiously checking every day for notifications, and he received confirmation that they were sending his permit that very day that I prayed.  He told me that he received the permit several weeks before he was supposed to, and he believes that it was a miracle.  The Lord answered my prayer.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the opportunity to join with you in your ministry of sowing seeds in people's lives.  May I be faithful to communicate your love, truth, and goodness.  And may I be faithful to pray for people in a way that demonstrates the authority and power of Jesus.  Holy Spirit, please help me be aware of you and keep in step with you.  Anoint me for good work today, which you have prepared in advance. I want to be amazed by you and celebrating your goodness.  I love you, and I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment