Wednesday, February 28, 2018

too many wives

Deut 17:16 The king, moreover, must not acquire great numbers of horses for himself or make the people return to Egypt to get more of them, for the Lord has told you, "You are not to go back that way again." 17 He must not take many wives, or his heart will be led astray. He must not accumulate large amounts of silver and gold.

King Solomon should have known better.  And so should I.  

I think there is a general principle here of over-commitment and distraction.  I feel like I constantly struggle with over-committing my time and effort, especially with work. I think this is analogous to getting married to so many things that it pulls you in so many directions that you lose focus.  Just like stockpiling money, as if it directly transfers to the eternal Kingdom.

I want to be monogamous with my commitment to Christ and the Kingdom work that He has given me.  At a high level, I think it is clear: my wife and kids, leadership in my church, leadership at work... but it becomes unclear with respect to "good opportunities" to serve, especially at work.

Father, thank you for your heart for me to be clearly focused on loving you and loving people.  Thank you for your heart for me to be effective in the good works which you have prepared for me to do.  Lord, I want my investments to be eternally significant.  Holy Spirit, please convict me of commitments that are not eternally profitable, and show me how to decommit in a godly way.  I love you, and I want to be totally devoted to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment