Saturday, July 28, 2018

Watchman: Old Covenant versus New Covenant

Ezekiel 33

It seems to me that Ezekiel was explicitly instructed to announce the sins of the people.  God told him that he was a watchman on the wall, and that if he warned people of the looming consequences of their sin, then their blood was on their own heads, and Ezekiel would not be held accountable for their rebellion.

I know that some churches today have this perspective that their role is to condemn people of their sin.  But to be honest, as I consider the whole of the New Testament writings, it seems to me that the principal focus of our proclamations to the world is not sin and hell.  Jesus commanded us to make disciples of all nations, and He told us to be His witnesses.  We are witnesses of his grace and mercy.  I think we should be proclaiming the goodness of God and testimonies of how we are sons and daughters walking in the blessing and favor of our Heavenly Father through Jesus.  The Holy Spirit is perfectly capable of convicting the world of sin as we highlight the goodness of God through Christ.  I wonder what it would be like if all churches around the world were passionate about proclaiming the goodness of God instead of proclaiming the sin of the world.

Father, thank you for showing your goodness to me.  I want to be faithful to share your goodness with friends, family, coworkers, and strangers.  Holy Spirit, thank you for giving me power to demonstrate the goodness and lordship of Jesus.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment