Monday, March 11, 2019

Restoration of Bartimeaus

Mark 10:46‭-‬47 NIV
Then they came to Jericho. As Jesus and his disciples, together with a large crowd, were leaving the city, a blind man, Bartimaeus (which means "son of Timaeus"), was sitting by the roadside begging. When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!"

I think it is interesting that Mark explains that "bar" means "son of".  That is like explaining that "el niño" means "the niño".  But maybe it was a subtle hint to take a look at the meaning of the name Timaeus?

Timaeus (Τιμαῖος) means "highly prized".  I imagine that Bartimaeus might have felt like his name was sarcastically ironic, as he sat there begging day after day, many people overlooking him and ignoring him, or pretending that they didn't see or hear him.  I wonder if he ever felt like his dad was highly prized, but he wasn't.  

But actually, every person is highly prized because we inherently bear the glory of our Father. We are made in His image.  

When Bartimaeus heard that Hope was near, he called out for mercy from Jesus (Ἰησοῦς), the one whose name means, "Yahweh saves".  Bartimaeus also called Him "Son of David", a term associated with the Messiah (Christ), the announced one who ushers in the fulfillment of the promises of God.

Jesus took time to notice Bartimeaus and ask him what he wanted.  And Jesus gave him sight.

Indeed, Jesus sees us all through the eyes of divine favor, and He has already purchased our freedom from darkness.  With a simple ask of faith, we can walk with spiritual sight.

Father, thank you for making us all highly prized like you.  I want to see the worth that you have given each of us.  Jesus, I want to continue your ministry of restoring people to wholeness.  Holy Spirit, please guide me and empower me.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment