Saturday, March 30, 2019

Promoting wholeness

On another Sabbath he went into the synagogue and was teaching, and a man was there whose right hand was shriveled. The Pharisees and the teachers of the law were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal on the Sabbath. But Jesus knew what they were thinking and said to the man with the shriveled hand, "Get up and stand in front of everyone." So he got up and stood there.  Then Jesus said to them, "I ask you, which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to destroy it?"  He looked around at them all, and then said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." He did so, and his hand was completely restored.
Luke 6:6‭-‬10 NIV

How many times had that man with a shriveled hand attended Sabbath gathering and been overlooked as "impure"?  How many times had he been ignored or overlooked.  How many times had people wondered if it was his own sin or his parents's sin that resulted in the condition of his hand?

How did the man feel when Jesus asked him to stand up in front of everyone? Did he keep his shrivelled hand hidden under his garment? 

Jesus's question to us is polarizing.  I am either doing good or evil, helping save people or destroying them.  Jesus gives me no middle ground.  When I marginalize or ignore people, I am doing evil and destroying people.  But when I love people and heal them, I am partnering with God to save life and do good.

Taking notice of people and beholding them is the first step (implicit in v.6).

Father, your heart is always to do good and save.  Jesus, thank you for your example of partnering with Father in beholding, loving, teaching, healing, saving, and restoring.  Holy Spirit, thank you for your love and power - the same love and power that you shared with Jesus, you share with me.  Please teach me and use me.  I love you, and I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment