Monday, March 4, 2019

Stewarding our children to love Jesus

Last night, I read the story of Eli and Samuel from the Adventure Bible to my kids.  It seems like Eli trained Samuel, but why didn't Eli train his sons to love Yahweh?  And as high priest (one who was acutely aware of God's passion for holiness), why didn't Eli discipline his sons?

This is speculation, but maybe when Eli was a new father, he didn't understand the importance of training the next generation to love God.  Maybe he was too focused on his career and trying to become high priest.  Or maybe he treated Samuel differently because he thought his sons were his own but he knew that Samuel belonged to someone else.  

I think sometimes we take better care of something/someone valuable when we are aware that we are stewards, not owners, because we know that we are accountable to the owner for the quality of our care.

Last night, Jude told me, "You're the best dad! Well, second-best." I smiled and told him, "Thank you, Jude!" He gets it.

Father, thank you for the wonderful family that you have entrusted me to steward. Help Brandi and me guide our kids to know you and love you because they are fundamentally your children.  I want to be faithful to that reality.  Holy Spirit, please bless our home with awareness of your presence.  I love you, and I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment