Wednesday, October 13, 2010

discipleship

Isaiah 41-42

I talked to my dad a little about discipleship the other day, and I've been thinking about it the last few days.  It seems like in many congregations in the States, much attention is given to the weekly corporate gatherings ("Sunday worship services").  While I do think these meetings are important and should have a balance between organizational structure and freedom to the Spirit's leadership, it is becoming more and more impressive to me that one-on-one discipleship is the essence of Christianity.  If you consider the Gospel accounts, how many of the stories are about Jesus in a "worship service" with his disciples, and how many of the stories are about Jesus spending quality time with his Disciples?  If you consider the Apostles' Acts and Letters, how much of their content is focused on community living and discipleship, and how much is focused on "worship services"? 

How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time.  How do you make disciples of all nations?  One disciple at a time.

The practical point is that I need to connect with a more mature Brother to challenge me to go deeper in my walk with Christ, and I need to be investing in some younger Brothers to challenge them to go to the next level in their discipleship.

Heavenly Father, I am a disciple of Christ, and I need to go to the next level.  I need to be engaged.  Lord, please arrange relationships and connections for me to be under another Brother's guidance and at the same time lead some other Brothers deeper with you.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ and for His Kingdom.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment